Murray Associates has been involved with the growth and transformation of the Market Square Presbyterian Church since the early 1940’s. To date, we have completed 20 commissions ranging from minor renovations of classrooms and multi-purpose spaces to a 12,000 square foot addition in the early 1980’s.
Our most recent commission involved a complete Master Plan of the facility, including interior renovations to the Nursery, Food Service, Information Center, Choir Rooms, as well as the instructional spaces throughout the building. The Plan called for the installation of a multimedia center that connected the Sunday School rooms to the Sanctuary and the introduction of an atrium to fill in the space between the Church and the Market Square Parking Garage.
Our new Narthex design utilized 3 large skylights which opens this space to the sky allowing natural light to penetrate into the space. The historic main entrance from Second Street into the Narthex remains, but the Chestnut Street Narthex has become the de facto “New Front Door” to the Church. This space also serves as a pre- and post-concert lobby for the popular Market Street Concert Series.
Other renovated spaces included relocating the Nursery Suite to the lower level, just off the main circulation stair, for ease of access for pickup and drop-off by parents. The Nursery Suite was also connected to the worship space with closed circuit cameras, a large flat screen monitor and a sound system, allowing both the children and teachers to participate in the services being conducted in the main worship space.
In order to support the large and active group of teens within the Church, a dedicated suite with a small kitchenette was designed on the upper level. This space is outfitted with a more teen appropriate color palette and furnishings to give them their own sense of place within this very large church.
Lastly, we introduced a new lighting system with a series of pre-programmed scenes within the Sanctuary and Choir spaces.